As I was mentioning in a previous post about good old version 1.0, our signing certificates are about to expire which means all current builds will stop working unless I post updated versions. I’m going to use this opportunity to move down the road of the future 2.1 macOS/Windows build. This is not going to be without some pains but I think it’s worth it in order to provide better support and to focus my time on getting 2.1 out instead of maintaining 2.0. Here what is going to happen.
I currently juggle 2.0, 2.1beta stable and 2.1beta unstable. 2.0 is practically impossible to maintain because the codebase is now very much dated and investing time in fixing things there would reap the smallest rewards since it will be completely replaced by 2.1. It also has known issues that will likely never get fixed. The stable beta for 2.1 has been pretty…err…stable. We’ve been directing people with issues toward using that version since is it still maintainable (even if its codebase is not the one used in 2.1unstable, it has been kept more or less current).
The workflow between the 3 builds is very different. 2.0 was trying to be an intelligent syncing system which proved confusing for a lot of people. 2.1stable moved to an import/export workflow which gave more control and was easier to debug and fix. 2.1unstable introduces simple drag and drop between collections. This is the future and all efforts moving forward will be toward making this workflow even better.
In order to make my life easier and move toward only one build, I’m going to merge 2.1stable with 2.0. So basically, starting with 2.0.24, the old 2.0 app will be replaced by what was known as 2.1stable up to now. 2.1unstable will become, just 2.1.
If you’re on the old « stable » 2.1beta or if, for some reason your updates don’t work you can download the new 2.0 build here. If you’re on the old « stable » 2.1beta you can delete the executable named
Rekord Buddy 2 Beta in your applications folder and just use the new
Rekord Buddy 2 which will have version 2.0.24 or above.
What is new/different about this build?
- Automatic syncing is gone. This was buggy and led to data corruption. You can now choose to ‘Import from’ a collection (that is, replace you Rekord Buddy collection with the changes from another collection, for example Serato->Rekord Buddy) or ‘Export To’ a collection which is the opposite (for example Rekord Buddy->rekordbox).
- Because of this, there is no need to ‘protect’ a collection anymore. It’s up to you to never export to something you want to keep protected (so if you want to make sure nothing changes your Traktor collection, don’t export to Traktor.
- Your Rekord Buddy collection won’t be migrated in this build. I had planned to do this but decided against it for two reasons. 1) it takes the same amount of time to import from another collection (Serato, Traktor, etc…) than it would have taken to migrate and 2) I think it’s better to spend my time finishing Windows right now than to do migration code. Just make sure you do your first import from the collection that has all your data in it.
- Minimum supported macOS version is now 10.9. In 2.1 this will bump up to 10.12 so start those updates now.
- The manual and most of the FAQ and tutorials on this site are now outdated. They refer to the old 2.0 workflow and therefore don’t apply anymore. Since this is a transitional period, I will hold off until 2.1 ships to update those as I believe this will be a better use of my time. A brand new manual is also being written right now that will apply to 2.1.
I’ll keep updating this post with anything that comes up. I’ll be the first to admit that this is not ideal, nor is it something that I want to repeat in the future. The transition to 2.1 has been way too painful and I’ve learned a lot from this over the last 2 year. This is the end of the tunnel and the decisions made here are mainly to make sure we get out of the tunnel as soon as possible. I’m deeply sorry for any inconvenience this causes and I hope you guys understand what my goal is by doing this.
Feel free to use this post to ask questions about the transition. Please continue to report bugs and issues in separate posts though so that this one doesn’t get crammed with support requests.