About that new 2.0.24(563) build

As I was mentioning in a previous post about good old version 1.0, our signing certificates are about to expire which means all current builds will stop working unless I post updated versions. I’m going to use this opportunity to move down the road of the future 2.1 macOS/Windows build. This is not going to be without some pains but I think it’s worth it in order to provide better support and to focus my time on getting 2.1 out instead of maintaining 2.0. Here what is going to happen.

I currently juggle 2.0, 2.1beta stable and 2.1beta unstable. 2.0 is practically impossible to maintain because the codebase is now very much dated and investing time in fixing things there would reap the smallest rewards since it will be completely replaced by 2.1. It also has known issues that will likely never get fixed. The stable beta for 2.1 has been pretty…err…stable. We’ve been directing people with issues toward using that version since is it still maintainable (even if its codebase is not the one used in 2.1unstable, it has been kept more or less current).

The workflow between the 3 builds is very different. 2.0 was trying to be an intelligent syncing system which proved confusing for a lot of people. 2.1stable moved to an import/export workflow which gave more control and was easier to debug and fix. 2.1unstable introduces simple drag and drop between collections. This is the future and all efforts moving forward will be toward making this workflow even better.

In order to make my life easier and move toward only one build, I’m going to merge 2.1stable with 2.0. So basically, starting with 2.0.24, the old 2.0 app will be replaced by what was known as 2.1stable up to now. 2.1unstable will become, just 2.1.

If you’re on the old « stable » 2.1beta or if, for some reason your updates don’t work you can download the new 2.0 build here. If you’re on the old « stable » 2.1beta you can delete the executable named Rekord Buddy 2 Beta in your applications folder and just use the new Rekord Buddy 2 which will have version 2.0.24 or above.

What is new/different about this build?

• Automatic syncing is gone. This was buggy and led to data corruption. You can now choose to ‘Import from’ a collection (that is, replace you Rekord Buddy collection with the changes from another collection, for example Serato->Rekord Buddy) or ‘Export To’ a collection which is the opposite (for example Rekord Buddy->rekordbox).
  • Because of this, there is no need to ‘protect’ a collection anymore. It’s up to you to never export to something you want to keep protected (so if you want to make sure nothing changes your Traktor collection, don’t export to Traktor.
  • Your Rekord Buddy collection won’t be migrated in this build. I had planned to do this but decided against it for two reasons. 1) it takes the same amount of time to import from another collection (Serato, Traktor, etc…) than it would have taken to migrate and 2) I think it’s better to spend my time finishing Windows right now than to do migration code. Just make sure you do your first import from the collection that has all your data in it.
  • Minimum supported macOS version is now 10.9. In 2.1 this will bump up to 10.12 so start those updates now.
  • The manual and most of the FAQ and tutorials on this site are now outdated. They refer to the old 2.0 workflow and therefore don’t apply anymore. Since this is a transitional period, I will hold off until 2.1 ships to update those as I believe this will be a better use of my time. A brand new manual is also being written right now that will apply to 2.1.

I’ll keep updating this post with anything that comes up. I’ll be the first to admit that this is not ideal, nor is it something that I want to repeat in the future. The transition to 2.1 has been way too painful and I’ve learned a lot from this over the last 2 year. This is the end of the tunnel and the decisions made here are mainly to make sure we get out of the tunnel as soon as possible. I’m deeply sorry for any inconvenience this causes and I hope you guys understand what my goal is by doing this.

Feel free to use this post to ask questions about the transition. Please continue to report bugs and issues in separate posts though so that this one doesn’t get crammed with support requests.

Hello,

Move to support section.

Hi,

I recently updated to the new version and for some reason the export to rekordbox function is not working, however I’m able to import everything from serato. I created a playlist to be imported to rekordbox and whenever I head over the xml file in rekordbox nothing is showing. Is there a new way to export data?
00%20AM

2 Likes

same problem here!

1 Like

I believe there is already a thread for this issue that I’m looking into. If possible, try to keep similar issues in an existing thread to make it easier to keep track of.

:tada: A new build is available 2.0.25beta(564) :tada:

Warnings:

• :bangbang: This is an interim release, getting ready for the new 2.1 version.
  • :bangbang: Workflow is new. Import/Export instead of automatic syncing.
  • :bangbang: Minimum macOS version requirement is now 10.9.

New Features:

• :tada: Added a link to follow Damien on Mastodon in the help menu.

Fixed since the last release:

• :white_check_mark: Fixed an issue with exporting collections in some cases.

Known issues:

• :spider: Manual, documentation and FAQ entries are out of date.
  • :spider: Your Rekord Buddy collection will unfortunately not be migrated.
  • :spider: But re-importing from Traktor, Serato or rekordbox will take the same time as a migration.
1 Like

thanks @damien.

the bpm column is black and the arrow to open playlists in the left navigation are also black. but no big bug. :slight_smile:

also the “read carefully” overlay is showed everytime when i open rekordbuddy. doesn’t matter if I click “don’t remind me anymore” or not. also a bug?

That’s Exactly The Problem I Have!
Did You Find A Way To Solved Your Problem?
I Tried High Sierra And Mojave With No Luck.
Thanks!!!

@giozar21gmail-com No need to try multiple OSes. Just answer my questions and allow me to work with you on figuring out what is going wrong.

You say you are getting the exact same issue as @kolorfilm but in another thread you say the app is not working at all. Can you be a little bit more precise? Are you getting the same problem mentioned in this thread?

:tada: A new build is available 2.0.26beta(565) :tada:

Warnings:

• :bangbang: Minimum macOS version requirement is now 10.9.

New Features:

• :tada: Added another method for uploading crash logs on restart.
  • :tada: Added some anonymous analytics to get more info about user engagement and country of origin.

• :white_check_mark: Fixed not disabling the warning dialog when users requested to do so.

Known issues:

• :spider: But re-importing from Traktor, Serato or rekordbox will take the same time as a migration.
1 Like

:tada: A new build is available 2.0.27beta(567) :tada:

Warnings:

• :bangbang: Minimum macOS version requirement is now 10.10.

New Features:

• :tada: Added support for subscription licenses.
  • :tada: Minimum supported rekordbox version is 5.6.0.

• :white_check_mark: Fixed alert windows causing a crash when displayed in some cases.

Known issues:

1 Like

:tada: A new build is available 2.0.28beta(568) :tada:

Warnings:

New Features:

• :tada: Updated all third party frameworks to latest versions.

• :white_check_mark: Fixed some missing crash info in crash reports. Send me your crashes again :slight_smile:

Known issues:

2 posts were split to a new topic: Moving collection from Serato to Rekordbox

:tada: A new build is available 2.0.29beta(569) :tada:

Warnings:

New Features:

• :tada: Debug logging is on all the time (for debugging a user’s issue).

• :white_check_mark: Fixed some crashes that could happen when the app exited.
  • :white_check_mark: Fixed some crashes caused by invalid crates.

Known issues:

I just wanted to ask a dumb/obvious question before I move to the new build.

I use tags heavily to organise my music collection within Rekord Buddy. When I import my collection into the new build of RB2 will it recognise the tags associated with the tracks in my collection which were originally created in the older version? I assume yes, but want to be certain as to not lose a lot of hand crafted labelling of music.

Cheers

Tags are also stored in the Track File so those will not be lost but they will not show initially as the database itself will not contains those. I’m working on a migration path to read the tags back from the track files but it may not be available until after 2.1 ships.