External Drive Issue

is D: a separate drive from your home/boot drive?

Yes it is separate

Can you delete the Rekord Buddy folder on D: and use the app again?

Something is not copying your license info correctly to the new collection and I want to see if we can isolate the exact operation that does that.

I deleted the Rekord Buddy folder. When starting Rekord Buddy again, I was prompted to enter my License. After doing so, the same volume D: error popped up while starting Rekord Buddy.

A side note, \users*username*\music points to D:\Music on my machine. I noticed that this is where Rekordbuddy saves its preferences DB. Could that be the issue?

Yeah it sounds like a bad home drive detection.

What is your home drive? C:?

How do you get that link from \users\username to a folder on the D: drive? Is that a setting? If I can replicate this I should be able to handle it correctly on my end.

C: is my home drive. You can change the default path for user specific folders by

1. Open file explorer
  2. Right click on specific user folder in the left lane
  3. Choose properties
  4. Click on location
  5. Choose new folder location

So I think the solution is to pick the Music folder drive as Rekord Buddy’s home drive since it needs at least one folder in Music. Any other volumes, like C: would just be treated the same. If music in on that volume a new collection can be created there.

That’s a better default behavior.

The new default will be in 2.2b5. Lets see if it works better.

1 Like

After moving Rekord Buddy to the D: drive, the error on start up goes away. However, I am no longer able to transfer playlists to Serato.

serato9

Does Serato sit on your C: drive?

Serato, Rekordbox, Traktor, and Engine Prime all sit on my C: drive.

Then that’s the issue. The app is behaving correctly right now. Music is on another volume, it requires a collection on that volume too.

Does Serato create a folder on the D: drive too or just the C: drive? I need to setup my VM to simulate that so I can run some tests myself.

The Serato folder is located in D:\Music

Interesting. So Serato is letting you add tracks from another volume to the D: database just because they probably both are considered ‘internal’.

Or maybe they are partitions on the same HD?

I’m just trying to figure out what is the best way to handle this.

D: is an external SSD connected via USB C. Yes, Serato lets me utilize my database on an external drive. I have done it this way for a few years.

You are my hero. After the last beta update, everything is working great. Tested
Rekordbox -> Traktor
Rekordbox -> Serato

Hot cues, Cue Colors, Cue Labels, Tags, Playlists all loaded without issue.

1 Like

That’s great to hear. I still need to take some time and figure out how to deal with volumes which are just partitions.

For now, this will do though :slight_smile: Enjoy!