๐ŸŽ‰ FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: I've decided to make Rekord Buddy free and open source. ๐ŸŽ‰

The restrictive walled garden approach to library management benefits only the industry. Itโ€™s nothing more than a way to tie paying customers to their respective products, and offers no real feature advantage, nor does it encourage the innovation our industry badly needs.

I find this approach to be unacceptable, which is why I made Rekord Buddy.

This has been a passion project over many years. It was the first to market and enjoyed enough success that I could make it my full time gig.

But recently Iโ€™ve been struggling with something, and thatโ€™s how my beliefs conflict with my actions. By selling Record Buddy as a product and then as a service, Iโ€™m profiting from the poor practices of the DJ industry, albeit in a bid to provide a solution to this bad practice.

That ends today.

As of today, October 9th 2020, Rekord Buddy is a free app and will become open source software before the end of the year, free for anyone to use and modify as they wish. Without revenue, Iโ€™ll continue to support and develop it more as a labour of love, but user support will minimal and sporadic.

Rekord Buddy did what it set out to do. What happens next is up to you. Join me and letโ€™s make it fulfill itโ€™s motto and stay the one and only โ€œBy DJs, for DJsโ€ app out there.

Here is a quick FAQ. Iโ€™ll be adding more to this as we go along:

Does it mean the current โ€˜non-freeโ€™ builds stop working today?

No. They will stop working at the end of the year. At that point everyone can transition over to the free builds.

Where are the free builds of Rekord Buddy?

You can find the free macOS build here and the free Windows build here. These builds are beta and will remain beta until we have time to finish adding all their features and make sure they are stable enough.

There is an issue with the builds, what can I do?

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS THREAD if you need support with the builds. First, make sure a thread doesnโ€™t already exists. If it does, post there. If it doesnโ€™t, start a new thread and tell us your issue. Be descriptive.

Can I download the free build if Iโ€™m already a commercial user?

Yes but be aware that, for now, there isnโ€™t a way to migrate your Rekord Buddy collection over to the free build so if you have important info there you should wait until we provide a way to move your data over.

What does that mean for people who bought licenses last year/last month/yesterday, do they get their money back?

No. I wish Rekord Buddy generated enough money for me to have a huge stack of cash that I could redistribute to everyone but thatโ€™s sadly not the case. Money coming in paid for the expenses of that month so itโ€™s not something Iโ€™ll be able to do. If that helps, keep in mind that while some of you may be upset at virtually โ€˜loosingโ€™ $49 dollars because the app is now free, I am very much giving away a lot of money here by giving back this entire app to the community.

What kind of help do you need for the future?

I need help with support on the forums. I need help with the manual. I need help testing the app and I need help coding it to add new features. If you can help with any of these things, DM me here on the forums.

Will Rekord Buddy still support Engine or other programs?

Absolutely. Development is still being made on those and the plan is still to add Engine support and Apple Music app support before 2.2 ships.

7 Likes

Full support to this decision. Open-source enables Freedom to improve the code, which in turn drives distributed innovation.

I already worked with other open-source projects dj-data-converter and MIXXX on the โ€œ26ms shift issueโ€ [1], and will do the same with rekordbuddy.

The request from Damien is clear:

"I need help with support on the forums. I need help with the manual. I need help testing the app and I need help coding it to add new features.

If you can help with any of these things, DM me here on the forums."

So please join this effort - 3 out of 4 of the above require no coding skills!

[1] blog post: https://github.com/pestrela/music/blob/master/traktor/README.md#dj-collection-converters

2 Likes

The open source community is great and will make amazing things happen, I look forward to working on the front end! Also now need to figure out to link with rekordbox without XML

2 Likes

Out of context, youโ€™re almost being too soft in your description of an industry that has made an art out of mediocrity. But in context, your understatement is like first shot fired in a mass uprising. If thatโ€™s overly dramatic sounding, then maybe the move to make rekord buddy open source might best be seen as the wake-up call (or push into irrelevancy) the big companies donโ€™t want to think about.

2 Likes

Hi, i just found out today of this app but i canยดt find a way to download it for Mac. Can anyone help me with this?

looks like the build of the free version isnt finished right now - i am hyped my self :slight_smile:

I think this is great! DJs will benefit from a program thatโ€™s being supported by an open source community. Too much vendor lock-in on the software side. There are still quite a few DJ programs that are not supported in Rekord Buddy, and I hope the list of support will expand to Denon, VDJ, Mixxx and others.

The thing that worries me is the future of Windows support, as the latest beta built is not working for me, and I really rely on Rekord Buddy a lot. Hope it gets a somewhat working build in the near future.

1 Like

Hello. Thank you for these news. Where can we download the app? Thank you for your time.

1 Like

Iโ€™ve never been prouder of having bought and supported an app. Thank you Damien for your developement, and deciding on going open source.

4 Likes

Did you try reading the post above? At the time you wrote you reply it was telling you that the builds will be available later, which they are now.

Did you try reading the post above? At the time you wrote you reply it was telling you that the builds will be available later, which they are now.

2 Likes

Your work over the past few years has been impressive and your initiative recognized within our music community. You are making a bold move here, for the best!

Very proud of you, even more knowing this app has been created by a Frenchy :facepunch:

1 Like

This is awesome, for multiple reasons:

1. Iโ€™ve made a career out of building open source companies. (See Pingtel and Acquia (the latter much more successfully).) Iโ€™m a huge believer in the power of community. Good communities come from having great community leaders. I encourage you to think as much about the dynamics of how you grow and work with the people who join this community. Iโ€™m not a trustworthy person to code anymore, but I can help with a) docs, testing, etc., b) helping you think about ways to create rewards for you (for your past work) & for all the community going forward, and c) covering the costs of running an open source project (which may not be zero), and d) helping you think about how what you do might be impactful across and BEYOND the community. Which brings the next point.

2. Beatport Pro has been the tool I use to manage my vast library, because it offers tagging, etc. Beatport has announced that software is being de-commissioned. It will still function, but without connections to their APIs, store, etc. Thus, SOMETHING needs to exist as a cross-DJ-software library manager. Rekord Buddy is well positioned to be that. It might need some additional work to be the best library manager around, but an open source effort is the best way to make that happen.

Please count on my continued support (though not in code, sadly). Iโ€™m pleased to hear your choice, and happy to be part of your community.

3 Likes

I just found out about Rekord Buddy today. Iโ€™m very excited to see itโ€™s going open source, and I look forward to contributing. Depending on the language I might be able to help with code, but Iโ€™m sure I can contribute to testing or documentation as well.

I think that this is a really good sign for the DJ community as a whole. Along with Mixxx, Rekord Buddy stands to challenge the closed-source mentality that currently dominates DJ software. I salute your decision and I will support it any way I can.

On that note, can you set up a PayPal link for donations? Now that you are no longer selling the product, Iโ€™d like to contribute towards its continued existence. I have resisted learning to use CDJs because of the hassle of going from Serato to Rekord Box, and it would appear Rekord Buddy can solve that problem for me. Iโ€™d like to say thank you for that :smiley:

2 Likes