Question about code base

Hey, so quick question about the application/code base. Wasn’t sure where else to post.

Just a little background info: bedroom dj/producer looking to learn more about coding. Running RekordBuddy on a macOS VM as I am a Windows user.

I can wrap my head around the basics of what this application does: syncs metadata across libiraries that use different metadata encoding. I understand that it’s much more complicated than that, but I’m familiar enough with the different softwares involved. I thought it would be a good exercise to go through the files and see how exactly the tasks are handled, etc.

So which language is this application written in? Sorry if this is a super-basic question, just looking for some pointers before I do a bunch of digging. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums.

Rekord Buddy 2.0 is written mostly in Objective C with a bit of C++. The problem with that is that this makes it mostly macOS only.

The up and coming 2.1 which will work on Windows and macOS is written 100% in C++.

If you’re picking up coding for the first time, there are a lot of languages that are easier to start with though like Java, C# or even Python which has a lot of UI components now. The trade off is that, for Java and Python for example, the resulting app is not as fast as one written in C++ for example.

Good luck! Coding is super fun.

Hey, thanks a lot for the info man! So I work a lot in Ableton and was interested in C++ as I believe Ableton is fully written in that language. I probably will start with Python or Java as they seem a better place to start.

And I’m sure you’re tired of hearing it but, but I eagerly await the release of 2.1, not just for the functionality but hopefully I’ll be far enough along in my journey to be able to understand a bit more of what’s going on. Thanks again for the info!

I believe Ableton has or at least used to have a lot of bits written in python too. Don’t quote me on this I could be wrong.

The code for controller mapping etc is .py I think. M4L might be too.