(Re-)Introducing DJs.Social

After a fair amount of soul-searching and self-reflection on my time management and such, I’ve decided to keep my :mastodon: instance at djs.social up and running. If you’re not familiar with either, Mastodon is an open-source decentralized Twitter alternative and djs.social is an instance of Mastodon specifically for DJs.

De-centralized means that not one entity owns the entirety of Mastodon, it’s actually distributed across many sites (called the Fediverse) that can all follow and refer to each other. In using the site it’s not much different than Twitter but the implications of it being de-centralized are huge. Your posts are not owned by one huge entity, each community can enact their own policies and rules, moderation is much better because each instance can police their own users locally. Basically it means that you can save it from becoming the cess-pool infected shit-show that is Twitter or Facebook.

It’s also not for-profit so no one is tracking your data or using it to sell to advertisers which is nice.

Anyway, I think it’s important to have this as an alternative to old-school social media. I think a lot of people will find it much more aligned with their principles or ethics and I think that DJs should be part of this movement and have a place in the Fediverse. That’s what djs.social is for.

I’ve added some moderators to the site and I’m ready for more people to join in again. I’m not getting paid to do this and I’m covering the costs of running the instance out of my own pocket. I just think it need to be built and it’s a way to give back. Come over and check it out!