On June 6th 2012 I made the first commit to my Rekord Buddy online repository. I’d been working on the app for a little while at that point as a pet project to learn ObjectiveC but I decided it was time to turn it into an organized project. I think the app was available for free on my FB page at the time (remember when FB was cool? ).
On August 25th 2012, I shipped Rekord Buddy v1.0 on the Mac App Store and started down the grueling path of what eventually became 2.0. I made all the mistakes in the book, tried to do everything from scratch instead of working incrementally (mainly because the engineer in me won every argument with the manager in me) and took way too long to ship the next major release.
On September 24th 2016, I shipped Rekord Buddy v2.0 and very quickly realized that some of the choices I made were plain wrong. I was trying to make the app sync automatically, which confused a lot of people as to what would actually take place when you pressed sync. The app was still ObjectiveC and macOS centric which meant a Windows version was way off in the future. The app wasn’t very modular and adding support new programs would still be painful and time consuming. The syncing was bugging and often unreliable. I set off to develop 2.1 and fix those issue.
The first incarnation of 2.1 was still mostly an ObjectiveC app which I was hoping I could update gradually to C++. The syncing was gone and I moved to an Import/Export workflow that people could control. Some of you have seen this version of the app in what eventually became the temporary 2.0.24 builds. Half-way through doing this, I realized where the app needed to go and took the very hard decision to start again and this time, do it right.
First, this turned into was a complete rewrite in C++ and using the Qt windowing system so that the same codebase could be used on both macOS and Windows. Then, I completely went away from syncing, importing and exporting and switched to simply displaying your collections and letting you drag and drop tracks, playlists and collections between each of them. For a long while, I was juggling three builds (2.0, old 2.1 and new 2.1) which was…err…not ideal.
Today, October 28th 2019 I am shipping Rekord Buddy 2.1. With this brand new workflow, a new manual that can be updated separately from the app itself, an new issue reporting system that allows me to virtually debug the problem on your own machine and added support for iTunes. It’s a major step in the Rekord Buddy story and I think you guys are going to love it.
Is it a perfect release, no. Will there be a big issue this week that I did not anticipate, I’m sure there will. But most importantly, I now have my undivided attention on this one build and I’m not going anywhere. If you learn anything in this post, it’s that I stand by this app and I’ve been doing it as my only day job for a long time. Anything that comes up after this release, I will be here to fix. Chances are, with your help, I will be able to fix any issues quickly and we will have a platform to build on top of.
Updates will be delivered more regularly now. The Windows version builds and runs and I will be releasing it as a beta before the end of the year (Windows users will get the same grace period on the pre-subscription license as macOS users, which means one year from when the full Windows release ships). I promise. Support for new programs will be added, new features are coming too. It’s a very exciting time for Rekord Buddy and Rekord Buddy users.
I couldn’t do this without you guys, literally, and I don’t take you guys for granted. Thank you for your patience. Thank you for your support. I’m excited about what is ahead.